~PRETTY~
Growing things!
I slipped some herbs in with my annuals.
I love checking on my containers.
Deadheading the blooms and watering is therapeutic don't you think?
We planted two Cherry Red Knockout Roses.
I haven't tried to grow roses for a very long time.
Everyone says you can't kill a Knockout Rose.
Please don't burst my bubble!
~HAPPY~
Confession: It has been years since I have sewn.
I had the machine tuned up two years ago.
The fabric and pattern were purchased last summer.
Sigh.......better late than never?
The skirt fits. Now it needs a hem.
~FUNNY~
Summer and ice cream!
~REAL~
(Pictures taken by kiddos through a screen.)
In May we watched Mr. and Mrs. Cardinal lovingly build their nest
outside a bedroom window.
We delighted in watching Mrs. Cardinal patiently sit on her nest.
One day we rescued a baby hanging from the bottom of the nest.
It involved strong Dad and big brother supporting a very tall ladder while brave younger brother carefully climbed into the branches to place the weak baby back in her home.
We have watched the parents tirelessly fly back and forth feeding their young.
This week we watched the two remaining fledglings try out their wings with the encouragement of their dedicated Mom and Dad.
About the time the cardinals were nesting, we noticed a new type of bird at the feeder.
We excitedly identified them as a male and female cowbird.
We had no idea what that meant for our sweet songbirds!
The "REAL" part is that we think the cardinals have actually ended up raising cowbirds!
It's a long story but you can click here to learn more about these not-so-nice birds.
We found two of the (much smaller) baby cardinals on the ground (dead) and now have two very fat little cowbirds being fed by Mr. and Mrs. Cardinal.
The couple below (Mama Sparrow and Baby Cowbird)
are at our feeder everyday.
The cowbird helplessly waits as its much smaller step mom feeds it sunflower seeds.
These parasitic birds go about willy nilly placing dozens of their eggs in other nests.
The mother cowbird will even pierce the host eggs after laying her own.
Sometimes she throws the other eggs overboard or her own much larger young will kick out their step siblings.
Linking up at Like Mother, Like Daughter.
WOW the cowbird sounds like it could be its own reality show. Roxie my favorite picture is of your youngest in his onesie with the popsicle goo all over...sooooo wonderful. God Bless you!
ReplyDeleteThank you Stephanie! I enjoyed visiting your PHFR too. I loved the Mary pictures. Your kiddos are precious!
DeleteI have so many great memories of sitting on the porch swing in the summer with my siblings eating popsicles and ice cream cones. Looks like your kids are enjoying it as much as we did!
ReplyDelete
DeleteThanks for visiting Rosie! Enjoying lots of cold treats is such a fun summer memory.
Ed was telling me about the cowbirds last night--crazy! (bummer about the cardinals...sniff!) I love making skirts (and shorts) soo easy and fun! I love the ladybug print. Post a pic on the model when it is all done! :)
ReplyDeleteThe skirt is finished! Grace loves it! :)
ReplyDelete