Pages

Saturday, April 14, 2012

Favorite Things



Lilacs

A fresh bouquet of lilacs at our Mary altar.



I love Lilacs. 

I love their color; I love the fascinating way their blossoms unfold.

The sight and sweet scent of lilacs makes me smile and feel a bit nostalgic.

They say the sense of smell evokes the strongest memories;
lilacs take me back home, to Kansas and my childhood.

Most farms and homes have a lilac hedge on the edge of their property providing privacy and a shield from the blowing prairie winds.

Lilacs remind me of my Grandparents.  I am reminded of the joy of discovering new kittens.  I think of my sisters and how we played beneath the cool foliage on a hot day.  I can picture us running barefoot around the farm.  I see the kitchen table with a vase of purple blooms.




The heavenly scent only lasts for a few weeks but nothing says Spring to me more then when the lilacs bloom.  Maybe it's because of my April birthday, but I think the smell of lilacs surpasses any flower.

In the past I would beg a bouquet or two from neighbors each Spring.


Imagine my delight when I found out that our new home had two varieties of lilacs planted near the house! 



My very own lilacs?  Thank you God!!!





3 comments:

  1. Okay, I'm convinced. I need to get some lilacs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you do! They always make me smile! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay!!! I found your lilacs and they are LOVELY!! :) Funny that you posted on lilacs and what they remind you of, but funnier still... we share a birth month!! So... happy birthday to YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete